Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/05/2005

True Stories (1986)

I love quirky. Makes me smile. This, however, veered from quirky to downright weird a few too many times for me. The fashion show, the dinner scene (which, despite the fact that I'm a fan of Spalding Gray monologues, bored me silly -- though I admit it was visually stunning), and the mere existence of Swoosie Kurtz's character went overboard -- while John Goodman's character, the lying woman, and walking through the mall (took me right back to my high school years: Jeans West, County Seat, and Kinney Shoes, baby!) were just right. I also really enjoyed several of the karaoke-ish numbers, especially "Wild Wild Night" (in the club), the one the 4-H Kids sang (but I forget what it was now) and "People Like Us" (Louis's Talent Show Song).

My absolute favorite scenes were the scenes in which Byrne was playing tour guide -- his deadpan just killed me: "They sell a lot of these, but I don't see anyone else wearing them"; "I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities, but I forgot what it is. I have it written down at home" (probably not accurate quotes -- but something like). I'd have loved an entire film of just him walking around commenting on what he saw and what was running through his head.

This is a true original, if not quite as good as it *could* have been. It almost hurts the film a bit to have several flashes of brilliance interrupted by boring stretches.

B

Labels: , , ,