Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

11/20/2005

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)

Saw this in the theater directly in front of a whole row of junior-high kids trying to outdo each other in snide remarks. I think I heard "buttmunch" at least twice as much in one evening as in the rest of my life combined.

HP and the GoF is my least-liked (so far) of the Potter series of books. The movie, however, is pretty darn good. My older son remarked that if he hadn't read the books, he'd have been completely lost -- and it's true that you just kind of get plopped into the story here. But, come on, who HASN'T read the series by now? The only people I know who'd be confused are bookburning fundamentalists...and they're sure as heck not going to be seen in a theater supporting the dark arts with their wallets now, are they?!

Now the book is way too long to have been fully represented on screen -- but I don't care. I'll still complain that everything felt way too rushed. For example, there was barely time for dragon-dread to register before it was time to battle one. The effects this time out were spectacular -- the Quidditch World Cup and the underwater scenes being particular standouts. But, as a whole, the lighting was lacking. We get it -- this is a darker chapter in the Hogwarts story -- but must the darkness be so dang literal?

But wow to the ending. I sobbed just as hard in the theater (the front of my shirt was WET, for crying out loud -- crying out loud. I kill me.) as I did when reading the book the first time. Ralph Fiennes is an inspired Voldemort.

B

Labels: , , , ,