Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

11/28/2005

Walk the Line (2005)

I was really entertained by the music portions of the movie. Joaquin channels Cash's performance behaviors and vocals so completely that I would've sworn he was lip-synching if I hadn't known ahead of time that the sound was coming from his own throat.

But the movie -- especially as a romance -- didn't have the heft it should have had. Johnny and June "the couple" seemed to kinda just suddenly be there rather than us ever understanding why they'd fall in love (other than opportunity and convenience). The detox scenes made me think more highly of Mr. and Mrs. Carter than of June, who just seemed to be helping Mom and Dad.

By all means, give Joaquin the Oscar. And you can go ahead and nominate Reese, too -- but don't dare give anything to the screenwriter who turned this biography into a bit of a bore.

B

Labels: , , ,