Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

12/26/2005

Kronk's New Groove (2005)

I was pretty dang excited to find this under the Christmas tree. I've seen The Emperor's New Groove probably 10 times and have laughed myself silly during each viewing and have enjoyed little giggle fits when simply thinking about the film. So...my expectations were probably a little high, making my disappointment just that much more bitter.

Kronk, former inept henchman, is now living a life much more suited to his strengths. He's playing up to his talents as a Junior Chipmunk Leader, a cook, and general nice-guy-about-town. However, his dad's coming to town and Kronk, approval-seeker-extraordinaire, doesn't think that the life he's chosen will be enough to get the "thumbs-up" he's been craving from his father since he was a boy. Mediocrity ensues.

If this had been stand-alone film, I think it'd be alright. But as the follow-up to one of the funniest animated films ever, it's just not good enough.

C

Labels: , , ,