Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/14/2006

Brokeback Mountain (2005)

I'm a sucker for true love stories and I walked into the theater with a purse full of Kleenex, more than willing for my heart to be swollen and my tears jerked. My tissues, however, went untouched. This was quite a disappointment for me.

I never really felt the love that these two men supposedly shared. Their affair was portrayed more as an addiction than a passion -- and that's a huge difference. I'm also rather mystified as to why Gyllenhaal isn't receiving the same level of attention for his work that Ledger's enjoying. I thought they both did a good job, but if I had to pick one as the acting "winner" here, it'd be Gyllenhaal.

B-

Labels: , , , ,