Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

12/27/2005

King Kong (2005)

So, here's the truth: it's not that great.

Almost every scene goes on too long -- from the "exciting" sequences: the brontosaurus-creature stampede, the T-Rex fight, and the giant insects in the ravine (which is downright ridiculous in its length -- ENOUGH already) to the touching ice-scoot scene. Why on earth did a movie that boils down to "wild animal is captured and exploited and cruelly misunderstood" have to be three hours long? I admit that I wasn't ever actually bored, but neither was I consistently entertained.

And another thing: the special effects are seriously unimpressive. Kong's great looking -- but the dinosaurs, bugs, and CG people are all obvious in appearance and rubbery in movement. I was extremely disappointed.

C+

Labels: , , , , ,