Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

9/16/2006

The Girl in the Café (2005)

I think I'm officially a Bill Nighy fan -- he's just so natural no matter what the role: aging rocker (Love Actually), cheating husband (Lawless Heart), or no-nonsense newspaper editor (State of Play). Even if I don't really care for a particular story, I always enjoy him.

I don't need any disclaimer for this movie, as every bit of it's a pleasure to watch. Here, Nighy's a high-ranking civil servant without any social life who just happens upon the equally lonely Kelly Macdonald (lovely) in a crowded café.

This would have been a winner even if it'd have settled for the storyline being just about the gentle romance between the two leads. But it goes further than that and becomes more than a simple delightful diversion.

A

Labels: , , , ,