Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

9/16/2006

Wild Things (1998)

When the guys in my house go off camping, I stay home and have myself a movie marathon. Since I'd already watched a heist movie (Inside Man) and a romantic drama (The Girl in the Café), I decided to switch it up with some sleazy cheese.

Although I knew nothing about this movie except that the cover shows Neve Campbell & Denise Richards up to their chins in water, Roger Ebert names this a guilty pleasure about which he doesn't feel guilty, and that it features full frontal Kevin Bacon...I've been wanting to see this for a while. It just started feeling like one of those "you haven't seen that?!" films such as Titanic or Schindler's List or...OK... Basic Instinct.

This movie, surprisingly, delivers. Denise Richards employs her weird "woodenly seductive" acting style, but she's surrounded by a story in which that works just fine. There's a lot of lurid stuff packed in here, but it's also clever and sexy and fun. It's entertaining schlock that's a lot smarter than it needed to be.

B

Labels: , , , , ,