Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/18/2007

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

Young Ofelia and has a new army officer stepfather and she and her very pregnant mother are joining him at his outpost so that he can be present at the child's birth. It's a humorless place and the Captain is a sadist who has little patience for Ofelia. Luckily, Ofelia's imagination -- rich with years of devouring fairy tales -- is enough to expose a world of fantastic, though dangerous, escape.

I'm not sure I can accurately convey just how much I loved this movie. To me, it was pure magic. I couldn't help sitting there in the flickering light with my mouth ajar at the wonder on the screen. I loved the merging of the two worlds and the way it made me squeak with fear and then smile with relief. It's a true fairy-tale for adults -- amazing and beautiful and very, very dark.

As soon as this is available, I'll be buying the DVD.

A+

Labels: , , , , ,