Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

12/08/2007

Bleak House (2005)

Extremely well-done miniseries. Well-acted and great-looking.

I did hate that everything was so intertwined as to often feel convenient -- and I know the adaptation isn't to blame for that as it's straight from Dickens, but still. Sometimes it was a little much.

And while I agree that the heroine of the story (Esther) was a marvelous human, the idea that her visage could be compared to that of an angel was pretty crazy. She was, by no means, a looker (even before she got smallpox) and she bore no resemblance whatsoever to her mother (played by Gillian Anderson). That she would ever be mistaken for her is laughable.

B+

Labels: , , , ,