Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

12/16/2007

Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

Eighth...or 18th...time I've seen this.

Jaded Macy's manager is raising her daughter to shun fantasy -- and runs into a bit of trouble when the Santa Claus she hires for the store is a little too convincing. Just a wonderful mix of sweetness and how the magic of belief can melt even the most cynical hearts.

Every single time I watch this, I tear up when Kris Kringle is talking to the little Dutch girl. Has there ever been a more convincing bit of love captured on screen than the one conveyed by the mother's expression as she watches her daughter's face transform from worry to joy? My eyes are leaking just thinking about it.

A

Labels: , , , , ,