Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/22/2008

Jolson Sings Again (1949)

...and again, and again, and again. I mean, the guy just won't shut up.

This follow-up to The Jolson story covers the break-up of his marriage, his self-imposed sabbatical from singing which resulted in a "who-cares" attitude by producers and public when he decided he wanted back in, and his slow comeback process aided by his work with the USO.

I know this is a weird complaint, but there was just way too much singing. It was only 96 minutes, but I'd wager a third of that time was spent listening to him croon. Perhaps the problem is that I don't like Jolson's voice (the actor lip-syncs to Jolson's dubbing) or the overstylized performance mannerisms -- but I do think it wound up feeling as though there wasn't enough story and they had to add a bunch of filler in the form of song to make it feature length.

C

Labels: , , ,