Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/07/2008

Wristcutters: A Love Story (2007)

Patrick Fugit plays Zia, a typical underachiever who gets so depressed over a break-up that he kills himself. But his life doesn't end...he just winds up in a drab purgatory town "a little worse" than the real world, populated with fellow suicides. He's got a cruddy little job and a cruddier little apartment, complete with a roommate who's tons of eh.

When Zia gets wind that his girlfriend killed herself shortly after he did, he decides to find her. He sets off in a beat-up car belonging to his one friend -- a colorful (well, as colorful as you can be when smiling's not allowed) former Russian rock-star wannabe who lives with his entirely suicided family. They pick up pretty Mikal, who's looking for the people in charge because she doesn't think she's supposed to be there and, well, ROAD TRIP!

I know it's not a great movie, but it's definitely something new and I just really got into it. There was a surprising amount of heart and I felt kind of transported. I wouldn't have minded tagging along on their trip...though I don't know if I'd have been able to stop myself from smiling on the journey.

B+

Labels: , , , ,