Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/17/2008

Near Dark (1987)

Not many monster movies can scare me any more - I guess that's the price of growing up and finding out that human cruelty is much more terrifying. So, while I didn't find this to be particularly scary, I did appreciate that it had a different take on the usual be afraid of what's in the dark story.

Caleb's a farm boy who gives Mae a lift home from town one night. When he pressures her for a kiss, he gets more than be bargained for and becomes a reluctant member of her traveling family of vampires. We're with them instead of running from them, which is a nice perspective switch from the usual vampire stuff.

Although I don't think it worked terribly well, I blame acting more than script. I just never really bought that there was an internal "should I stay or go" struggle for Caleb and his angst should have been the major conflict.

C+

Labels: , , , , ,