Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/09/2009

Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

My initial impression of this film was one of disappointment...which then morphed into disbelief that this was the big winner at the Oscars. The entire family went together to see this and, although I was clearly the least impressed of our group, no one else thought they had just viewed the movie of the year.

Part of the problem was that it was difficult to know what was appropriate to feel. I barely had time to absorb the horrors of the flashbacks before I was supposed to be laughing and enjoying the "present." Sure, life is like that -- tragedy can turn to triumph -- but it made for a jarring and heavy-handed movie.

C+

Labels: , , , ,