Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/06/2009

Adventureland (2009)

This fits right into that nostalgia "sweet spot" for me. I graduated high school in 1985 and had to pay my way through college by working crappy jobs and living with my parents in the summer. Everything is *just right* on screen -- and it goes way beyond soundtrack, which was wonderfully "oh yeah!" familiar while avoiding the obvious choices for the time period.

I just loved it. Jesse Eisenberg usually kind of bugs me with his noodgy head-bobbing and, truth be told, I'm not quite sure he veered much from his usual for this role, but here it felt right. This is a fantastic portrayal of a guy trying to fit into this surprise life of disappointment that most of his new friends have been living for much longer. Actually, all of the portrayals were recognizable as "real" with, perhaps, the exception of Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader as the (very funny) couple in charge of the amusement park providing employment for the cast.

B+

Labels: , , , ,