Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

10/28/2009

Orphan (2009)

OK, well...yeah, if you wanna get all technical, this is kind of trashy. But...but...trash can be ART!

Around Halloween, I start craving the kinds of movies that make me jump then giggle with embarrassment because I jumped. This was perfect for that purpose PLUS I was genuinely surprised by some of the goings-on.

Seriously, this is a great entry in the "that kid's not quite right" genre. Bringing an outsider into a family gets things off-balance in the best of circumstances, but when that outsider looks like she would've been more comfortable growing up a century ago and speaks in a heavy Russian accent, adjustments get just that much more difficult. This is like The Good Son turned up a few notches -- and I thought that movie worked pretty well.

I mean, this is definitely trash, but that doesn't mean you should throw it out!

B+

Labels: , , , ,