Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/09/2011

Babes in Arms (1939)

I am genuinely glad that I didn't grow up in the era that Mickey Rooney was considered a movie star; I find almost everything about him annoying. And, since this is the Mickey Rooney show, I found this movie annoying.

Basically, vaudeville is dying out and the show-biz families are taking their show on the road as a last ditch effort to revive it. They leave their teenage and younger kids behind to be threatened with being shipped off to some kind of a boarding school. To combat this very non showbiz fate, the kids put on a show. Judy Garland's voice is fine, even in blackface (!!), but nothing else about this both manic and tired musical is.

I'd much rather watch a show put on by The Little Rascals!


D-

Labels: , , , ,