Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

9/18/2011

The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010)

I love me some Nic Cage. I think he brings every ounce of himself, even to the fluffiest of roles. There's some worth to this film; it's not throwaway and it doesn’t even fit squarely in the “fluffy” category. It has great effects, lots of humor and good action.

The problem -- and it’s huge -- is the “star” Jay Baruchel. This kid is a talentless non-presence with an annoying vocal delivery. I kept thinking of how much more fun this would’ve been with almost ANY other actor of his age in the role. He single-handedly ruined it. I probably would’ve gone with B+ if Baruchel wasn't there to snivel and shrug his way through all of his scenes.

C

Labels: , , ,