Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

10/09/2011

Never Let Me Go (2010)

I did it in the wrong order again, dangit! I read this lovely lyrical book several months back and then saw this...which I'm sure robbed me of some of the pleasures of this haunting film version.

The filmmakers did succeed in capturing the poetic “otherworldly” feel of these young lives -- it was a gorgeously quiet movie -- but they missed completely some of the subtext. On its own merits, I think the movie works, though it’s a bit more of a downer than it needed to be. In stripping down the story, they stripped away a bit of what made it such a compelling one.

B

Labels: , , , ,