Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

12/27/2011

The Life Before Her Eyes (2008)

We see Diana, a woman in her mid-30s in a comfortable marriage and home, with a bit of an indulged brat of a young daughter.  We then see Diana as a high school student, spending time with her best friend right before tragedy -- in the form of a student gunning down classmates and teachers -- strikes.

The story is told in this kind of back-and-forth: adult Diana is coping with the upcoming anniversary of the tragedy while teen Diana butts heads with her mother and rebels in general, while enjoying her deep friendship with the religious Maureen.  I was annoyed by the back-and-forth at times...things got a little arty (especially near the end) and the bratty daughter's behavior made my jaw tighten.

But then the end finally came and the question of "what happened" was finally answered and, I have to say, it was worth it.  Even the flourishes that were annoying me moments before became poetic in retrospect.  In short: I bought it.

B+

Labels: , , , ,