Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/01/2012

Fair Game (2010)

Naomi Watts plays Valerie Plame, a real-life CIA operative who was outed by the government, seemingly just to get back at her husband for writing a piece criticizing the government.

I remember watching this event unfold and how I felt, at best, annoyed on her behalf.  Although I of course can't know how accurate the film is, it seems logical that an undercover agent would have operations in progress that would be jeopardized by revealing her true identity.  That this seeming act of "oh yeah?  well take this!" childishness could do more than simply rob a woman of her job and a family of their privacy but was okayed anyway demonstrates the dangers of having so few holding so much power.

I went from annoyed to downright sick at the renewed realization that we allowed a group of lying bullies to play games with our country for years and years, playing upon our fears and patriotism to get their way and have us cheer them for it.  I don't know if I would've done what Joe Wilson did, but he's one man.  And I believe he's a brave one.

OK.  Back to the movie.  Great job of explaining what was happening and why it mattered.  Seemed to do a good job of getting the audience on its side (since I was already there I'm guessing at that).  Could've worked harder at showing us the far-reaching damage incurred by the revelation -- the fact that this facet seemed somewhat marginalized helped to sell its accuracy/lack of sensationalism though.

B

Labels: , , ,