Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/29/2012

Speak (2004)

I started watching this months ago and stopped, I think because it was too soon after I’d read the book and I was getting hung up on “THAT's not how she looked” and “it didn’t happen that way.” Now that the book has faded, though, I thought this movie stood on its own very well.

A high school freshman goes from lively, happy, and good grades to a depressed, withdrawn loner struggling through classes. Of course there’s a reason, but she simply cannot speak about it -- and, eventually, reduces all speech to a minimum.  Powerful and important, especially for junior-high and high school viewing.

B+

Labels: , ,