Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/27/2012

The Descendants (2011)

Orange-haired lady in the theater bathroom: What did you think of the movie?
Me: Honestly?  I expected it to be better.
OHL: I expected it to be funny.

So my initial reaction was that this was kind of a letdown.  I didn't like the daughters.  I didn't like the mother in the coma.  I didn't like the best-friend couple.  I didn't like the extended family.  I thought I didn't like the movie.

But afterward, as Gary and I rehashed it over burgers and a shake, it just got better and better.  I'd start with a criticism that would somehow turn itself into a compliment as it was spilling out of my mouth.  Elements that had seemed annoying suddenly revealed themselves to be true rather than irritating.  A reaction became measured rather than nonexistent.  We wound up kind of loving it, which surprised us both.

Maybe we just shouldn't have seen it when we were starving...

A

Labels: , , , ,