Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

12/07/2012

Lincoln (2012)

When I scan the list of movies Steven Speilberg's directed, I realize that I haven't really enjoyed one since Minority Report and he hasn't made a truly great one since Saving Private Ryan.  It's probably unreasonable to expect someone to turn in masterpiece after masterpiece, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect critics to be honest about the quality of the work.  He's become safe and, more often than not, boring.  War Horse, War of the Worlds and The Terminal were all subpar and the masses lapped it up.

Lincoln isn't a turning-point.  For the first hour or so, I barely kept my attention on the screen and Gary actually fell asleep. Day-Lewis is magnificent and Sally Field deserves a nomination too.  In truth, all of the actors did admirable work, but the film's overstuffed with characters and dialogue and very little drive.

C

Labels: , , ,