Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/18/2013

Les Miserables (2012)

There was more wrong than right in this adaptation. When I heard the casting of Jean Valjean and Javert (Jackman and Crowe, respectively), I said “that’s backward.” After seeing the film, I’m still convinced they got that completely wrong. Also, Jackman BUTCHERS his singing parts, emphasizing inconsequential words, singing through his nose, and often going flat -- “Bring Him Home,” usually a beautiful highlight, was painful. The one scene that he got really, really right was in Valjean’s Soliloquoy, which is achieved through passion, not his vocals (which were terrible, but forgivable in the emotion of the scene).

I couldn’t put aside my knowledge of the gorgeous stage play to even attempt to enjoy this (though I was, a few times, moved to tears, but I’m suspicious that’s because I brought my already-present knowledge of the material to the most moving scenes), so I’m really curious as to what people who knew neither the stage play nor the source novel think about this film. My assumption is that they’d find the music boring/repetitive and the story too big for one film. For me, it was just a waste of time. The stage play is more immersive, the musical performances more polished (in the best of ways), and just more satisfying.

I will say that Seyfried’s quite the impressive soprano -- that was a surprise!

C

Labels: , , , ,