Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/06/2013

The Beaver (2011)

Gibson is Walter, a man crippled by depression.  He's become a non-presence in his life and work and his wife has finally had enough.  When tossing some of his stuff in a dumpster during his move, he sees a hand puppet in the garbage and picks it up.  The puppet becomes the vehicle for his better self; with the beaver in the driver's seat, Walter's life turns around.

I'm surprised at how much this movie reminded me of Lars and the Real Girl -- I love that film and really wasn't anticipating having much affection for this one.  This story has a darker undercurrent than Lars and it definitely has its own vibe, but it's worth a look on its own merit.

B+

Labels: , ,