Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

11/23/2014

Whiplash (2014)

Spectacular film. Gary and I actually applauded in the theater the first time we saw it. I seriously don't remember the last time I was so wrapped up in a story that my life kind of fell away and I entered the world on screen completely. I don't know anything about jazz and I don't have any desire to learn, but when I was in the theater? It was everything.

Miles Teller was phenomenal as the kid with the loving father, simple life, but huge dream of not just being great but being ONE of the greats. Every scene works. Every actor is terrific. There's not a misstep anywhere. Saw it with Gary, talked about it all day. Saw it with my younger son, talked about it all day. When I heard my older son saw it, we talked about it at length -- it's a film that evoked something in us. It's heavy with meaning. It felt big. It still feels big. I wanna watch it again right now.

A+

Labels: , , ,