Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/23/2016

Joy (2015)

Joy’s a single mother, but only in the sense that she’s the only one bringing in any money and doing household chores. Her lounge-singer ex-husband lives in the basement, her soap opera-watching mother stays upstairs in bed all day, and her grandmother is around every corner with a worried look and a platitude. Her life is a never-ending loop of suckitude.

But then she gets a big idea. But she can’t get the money to make it happen. But then she does get the money. But then it doesn’t sell. But then it does sell. But then they can’t afford the manufacturing. And on and on and on, like the least exciting roller coaster ever. Not a single person was likable and David O. Russell has ZERO talent for directing children -- which is one of my pet peeves. Getting through it was quite a slog for me and, judging by the fact that my full theater actually trudged out in near silence, I'm pretty sure the no-fun night at the movies wasn't confined to my seat.

F

Labels: , , ,