Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/25/2016

The Revenant (2015)

There were a a few dreamy/mystical elements that I think would've made the movie stronger if they'd been cut, but that’s not to say that the movie isn’t strong as-is. The problem was that -- especially early-on -- I wasn't able to separate reality from the flashback/dream portions. Perhaps I'm the only one who experienced that confusion, but it didn't add to the movie-watching experience.

DiCaprio was ferocious as a bear-attack victim pushing himself back from sure death to enact vengeance. Most of the film is his wordless struggle to eat, move, survive and that was more than enough. Actually, it was about 30 minutes more than enough.

B+

Labels: , , , ,