Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/23/2016

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (2015)

The opening, pre-dying girl, portion felt extremely self-conscious. Greg takes us on a quick tour of the cliques that make up high school while positioning himself firmly outside of that nonsense. We also meet his filmmaking partner (they make parodies that could only fit in the Wes Anderson universe) and Greg's parents (dad carries around a cat, cooks creatively, and wears dashikis). It just felt so darn twee.

Then Greg is pressured into visiting diagnosed-with-leukemia Rachel. As he puts in the time, he really grows to care for her and, by golly, that's exactly what happened with me and this film. I got on its wavelength and I kind of fell in love with the characters. By the end I was bawling.

B

Labels: , , ,