Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/10/2016

Midnight Special (2016)

In the opening scenes of Midnight Special, we see two men on the run with a young -- but clearly not average -- boy. We also watch a nighttime gathering of what look to be Mormons of the sister-wife variety (long braids and prairie dresses) listening to a sermon based on texts that are definitely extra-biblical. It felt tense and fresh and I couldn't wait to learn what was happening and why.

Well, I wish they'd never told me what was going on. Better to wonder than to find out that it's basically -- "kid's from another world. yeah, it doesn't really make much sense seeing he's got parents in this one, but don't think about that. Just enjoy the special effects." At the very least, I wish I'd had a few scenes to get the feel of the commune and have a sense of investment in the decision to snatch the kid away from it.

C-

Labels: , , , , ,