Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/07/2017

Manchester by the Sea (2016)

Over dinner after the film, Gary asked me if I would label this a “perfect” film. I considered for several moments and then had to say “yes” because I couldn’t think of a single thing that I would tweak.

Though the story is incredibly sad, there were also some very funny moments, just as in real life. I loved the way the back story unfolded -- how we found out what has made this lonely, closed-off man who he is. I also really admired that the story didn’t turn out the way I expected and even hoped it would. Instead, writer/director Lonergan chose honesty, which was perfect.

A

Labels: , , ,