Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/18/2017

The Fear of 13 (2015)

A man who spent 20+ years on death row for a murder he didn’t commit basically sits in front of the camera and tells the story. He goes off on a few tangents, but there’s no doubt this guy is magnetic.

But my constant thought was more one of “this dude is a fantastic storyteller” rather than “this guy has suffered a tragic injustice.” While it was somewhat refreshing not to feel manipulated into indignancy, I have to admit I also kind of missed the push. I mean, I don’t generally enjoy feeling controlled but, in this case, listening to this guy spin his yarn had me kind of wondering what was so special about the story. He felt so regular that it was a little too easy to forget why he had my ear in the first place.

B-

Labels: , , , ,