Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/13/2017

The Girl With All the Gifts (2017)

Doesn't come anywhere near the quality of the book and it’s difficult to separate the two from each other. Because I know exactly what the ending means via the written page, it’s hard to know if the way the movie presented the end really “works” -- I know that neither Gary nor Nathan derived the book meaning from it (they thought the teacher was a hostage), but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I just don’t think it’s AS good a thing. Basically, my family saw it through the lens of typical dystopian tropes: the humans are the “good guys” and the zombies must be cured. The book saw the zombie children as the next -- amoral -- phase of evolution and the humans as simply a dying breed. The latter is much more interesting.

B-

Labels: , , , , ,