Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/04/2017

Weiner (2016)

Before this doc, the only thing I knew about Anthony Weiner were the punchlines. But I grew to really respect the guy as a politician (it's a mark of how great the stigma of his scandals are that I'm almost embarrassed to admit that). He is obviously passionate about representing the people. He shows it on the campaign trail & the film kicks off with some fiery speeches he gave while he was a congressman, so it’s not just “campaign stuff” with him. Once he was in office, he was still fighting.

But wow. Talk about a guy who can’t stay out of his own way. I imagine Weiner’s dalliances are pretty tame for a politician and I can’t help but thinking that’s why people are so entertained by it. Weiner's private life comes off as more silly than sordid. And, for a politician, there’s apparently no recovering from “silly."

B

Labels: , , ,