Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

6/17/2018

The Son of Joseph (2017)

Teen Vincent longs to know who his father is, but his mother has always refused to divulge the information. When Vincent finds a returned letter that his mother wrote to his father while pregnant, he determines to meet the man. Though his biological father is a disappointment, Vincent almost literally stumbles upon a preferable surrogate.

Despite itself, this moved me. I say "despite" because there was a studied detachment in the acting. Vincent and his mother were precise in movement (but mostly stillness) and speech. It was as though they were in play on a stage too small to allow for normal gesturing. It took quite a while to get used to the stiffness, but the story won me over.

B

Labels: , ,