Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

8/11/2018

Eighth Grade (2018)

I have no idea how Bo Burnham -- a male -- tapped so precisely into the mind of a young teenage girl. It's almost unsettling how right it is.

Those pool parties where you can't fit in and the desperation to get that boy to notice you could have been lifted straight from my own experiences -- I both laughed and cringed in recognition. Even though I'm now 50, as Kayla moved uncomfortably through her days I was transported to a place I'd dearly love to forget.

The thing is: I know that Kayla will be alright. She's got a father full of love and acceptance. And that's really all that a kid needs in the long run.

B+

Labels: , , ,