Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

12/15/2018

You've Got Mail (1998)

I originally saw this in the theater and liked it quite a bit -- but I had no idea if it would hold up or come off as dated. Happily, it holds up.

Hanks and Ryan are adorable as the couple who can't stand each other in real life but love each other online. Rather than coming off as creepy once he knows her identity but she's still in the dark, Hanks' manipulations come off as sweet and considered. It's just a happy little love story.

My one complaint is that there was no reason to make Hanks' girlfriend so self-absorbed. She could've just been wrong for him without making her unworthy of his love.

B+

Labels: , , , ,