Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/17/2019

To All the Boys I've Loved Before (2018)

Lara Jean, though adorable and fun, has a habit of pining from afar rather than letting the objects of her affection know her feelings. When she gets a crush, she writes a letter to them then puts that letter in a box that she pulls out every once in a while. Her latest crush is her next-door-neighbor who was, until very recently, dating her own older sister.

It's no surprise that the letters find their way to the addressees. There's actually no surprise in the entire film, but I'm not complaining. I grew up with "Can't Buy Me Love," so I had no problem buying into and being enchanted by the story. There were times it felt a bit low-budget -- like a coupla more takes could've improved some scenes -- but that's just quibbling. This is a sweet charmer.

B

Labels: , , , ,