Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

11/02/2019

We Have Always Lived in the Castle (2019)

A small family -- two sisters and an aged uncle -- live in quiet isolation after the poisoning deaths of the other members of their family years earlier. They are mostly shunned by the other townspeople and sometimes harassed. When their cousin shows up for a visit, the dynamic in their home shifts.

I've read the book and this just can't hold a candle to it. On screen, the proceedings seem silly and unbelievable. Perhaps it's due to the fact that Merricat, in this portrayal, is clearly a deeply disturbed young woman so that most of the mystery is lost. On the page, I was with her -- I didn't consider her behavior to be off, just odd.

Really not worth the watch.

D+

Labels: , , , ,