Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

6/27/2020

Private Life (2018)

A NY couple in their 40s are trying to have a child after years of putting it off. It's been going on so long that their friends and family are finding it difficult to continue being supportive, and it's likewise taking a real toll on their relationship. In short: not a fun situation and not a fun movie.

I almost turned it off after the first ten minutes because it seemed like it was going to be a real slog... and, while I kept it on, my gut was right. This was not an easy movie to watch. It's hard to believe that so many people put themselves through this -- it must be so frustrating and humiliating. The fact that no one in the fertility doctor's waiting room was ever smiling started to make a lot of sense halfway through this.

I get it -- it seemed well-done -- but it also was just so depressing.

B-

Labels: , , ,