Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/11/2020

Son of Rambow (2008)

Two kids are lonely for different reasons: Lee is a poorly behaved nuisance that no one wants to be around, and Will is a naive kid growing up in a very strict religious family. Despite their differing homelife and experience, they quickly become a team working together to create a movie inspired by First Blood.

What a delight this was. I really appreciated how the kids' trust in each other developed naturally. I didn't have to search too hard in my memory to come up with very similar experiences from my youth. Back then, it didn't matter who our families were -- if we could spend a few hours playing hide and seek or Red Rover together, we could become inseparable.

I also got quite a kick out of the French foreign exchange student's immediate rise to fame among the British students. All of the little scenes with his posse following his every whim like he was a god among children were hilarious. What a sweet joy this movie is.

B+

Labels: , , , ,