Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/31/2020

Summer of '92 (2015)

I don't follow soccer now, so I certainly didn't follow the sport 30 years ago, which means I had no idea what was going to happen in this movie about the real-life Danish national team from 1990-92.

Coach Nielsen has an uphill battle taking over the team from his predecessor. He's interested in winning rather than putting on a show and that is the opposite of what Denmark's national team had become known for. He has neither the respect of the players nor the confidence of the owners, who courted 7 other coaches before settling for Nielsen. But it's his steadiness and lack of vanity that serves him so well in the role. Despite all of the knocks, he is insistent that his way will work.

I loved that the game scenes were intercut with what looked to be footage of the real matches. This is a feel-good movie without a lot of flash -- simply lovely.

B+

Labels: , , ,