Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

8/19/2020

7 Days in Entebbe (2018)

This is a based-on-fact film about the 1976 hijacking of an Air France flight with the goal of getting Israel to release Palestinian prisoners.

I knew nothing about this event since I was eight when it happened and completely absorbed by my own nation's upcoming bicentennial celebration, so I have no idea of its accuracy. But, even if just the bold strokes can be trusted, this was pretty interesting. A couple of German activists join with the Palestinians to perform the hijacking, but soon understand that their more peaceful agenda doesn't line up completely with the that of the Palestinians.

There was a confusing device of visiting an interpretive dance troupe during their rehearsals and then eventual performance -- I'm not sure what that had to do with anything (other than the fact that one of the dancers is the girlfriend of one of the Israeli soldiers), but it was beautiful. I'd go see that show.

To sum up: it was well-done and intriguing. I want to find out more about this event.

B+

Labels: , , ,