Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

11/08/2020

The Most Hated Woman in America (2017)

I didn't know much about Madelyn Murray O'Hair, so I was really interested in and enjoying the first bit of this film. We get to know her as a young mother and see what spurred her -- understandably -- to action. Too bad that the structure of the script robbed the story of its impact.

There's far too much mystery in what is a straightforward story. The switching back and forth between the "now" of her kidnapping and the "then" of her fight and eventual embezzlement scheme just didn't work. When the identity of the kidnapper is revealed, we have no idea who he is because we haven't met him yet. But their reactions were so strong that I wondered if we had met him and I'd forgotten.

Could've been great, but instead is just alright.

B-

Labels: , ,