Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/22/2021

Mank (2020)

Herman Mankiewicz is convalescing after a car accident while trying to complete the screenplay for Citizen Kane on a tight deadline. Helping him is a no-nonsense secretary and a devoted nurse. As his inspiration becomes clear, the studio begins to fret and attempt to persuade him otherwise.

I have been watching old movies since I was in grade school -- I know the players. But, even though I'm probably more familiar with the stories than most people under 60, I would've appreciated little backgrounds on the starlets and producers who were populating the screen. I was sometimes a little lost, so I imagine most who watch would be even more so.

That said, this is sharp and mostly fun.

B

Labels: , , , ,