Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

10/31/2021

Dune (2021)

My main problem with the book is that it was, for me, just exhausting. I stopped caring about what I was reading because I just wanted to be done with the dang thing. This film distilled all of the threads so that they were easy to keep straight. The characters came alive in distinct ways and I actually cared about them. But... it's not a complete story.

I know that it clearly says "Part 1" at the start -- that it's not intended to be complete -- but it really should stand on its own. Since we'd not spent any real time with the Fremen, meeting one of their bands and immediately rolling credits was completely unsatisfying.

C+

Labels: , , , , ,