Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/27/2022

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020)

Started off really strong: a woman is traveling with her boyfriend of less than two months to meet his parents. She has a running stream of thoughts that are audible to us... and possibly to her boyfriend. Once they arrive at the family's remote farm, every bit of sanity just goes out the window.

The parents are typically weird: dad says odd things and Mom giggles at all the wrong times. But they also can't stick with an age, sometimes appearing much older and sickly and sometimes quite young and spry. Is this all in the boyfriend's head? He does appear to be able to make his constantly "shaking himself dry" dog to appear out of nowhere.

In short: although I feel like I kind of got what was going on (my guess is that the boyfriend and the school janitor are the same character), but this was never in any way confirmed or disproved, which left me frustrated and annoyed. I hated almost everything after their initial car ride with the exception of the hallway dance.


D+

Labels: , , ,