Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/02/2022

A Guy Named Joe (1944)

Hot shot bomber pilot is always pissing off his commanding officer and disappointing the woman who's desperately in love with him. He does what he wants without much regard for anyone else. Once he's killed in combat, he still has a chance to redeem himself as an angelic guide for other pilots.

I'm not really sure what to think of this movie. It wasn't until the very end -- like the last 10 minutes or so -- that I started to like Spencer Tracy's character. And, since he's in every single scene, that's a long time to wait. Good idea and sweet resolution, but too much annoyance in between. One scene, however, was such a beautiful standalone example of everything that's good in humans that I will likely remember it for the rest of my life...


C+

Labels: , , , , , ,